Other places to meditate
- Twickenham mindfulness group meets on Tuesdays in Stawberry Hill. twickenham.sanghafriends.com
- Kingston mindfulness group meets on Wednesdays. www.kingstonmeditation.org.uk
- Richmond mindfulness group meets on Thursday in Sheen. www.richmondmeditation.org.uk
- London Insight Meditation (LIM), is a small independent charity that promotes insight meditation, plus related practices, values and teachings from the Buddhist tradition. They organise meditation groups and events.https://www.londoninsight.org/
- Amaravati is a Theravada Buddhist monastery situated at the eastern end of the Chiltern Hills in south-east England. It is near the Hertfordshire village of Great Gaddesden. The nearest towns are Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted. They have workshops, day retreat and longer too. You can also just go there to visit. www.amaravati.org
- Gaia House, is a meditation retreat centre in Devon, offering silent meditation retreats in the Buddhist tradition. gaiahouse.co.uk
- Plum Village, near Bordeaux in southwest France, is the largest international practice center in the Plum Village tradition, and the first monastic community founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh (Thay) in the West. plumvillage.org
Events and courses
This day of practice will be an opportunity to learn about and cultivate samadhi a meditative collectedness of mind which forms an integral part of the Buddhist path. Participants will be exploring creative ways of working with the breath and body as a means of developing a pleasant abiding in the here and now. Cultivating samadhi is a skill that can be learned and developed with practice, a deep resource that provides fertile soil for planting our insights. We will be looking at what kinds of attitudes and conditions are conducive to establishing and deepening samadhi, as well as some common obstacles. Our intention is to provide a useful set of tools while providing a supportive space for practicing and asking questions.
The content is suitable for beginners, as well as for people with more experience. Our day will include periods of silence, guided meditations, teaching and some Q & As.
For more information and to book www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3085373
Be Calm Be Happy: A short course in Mindfulness, Saturday 4 November - 9 December 10.30-12.30 am
At LondonatWestminster Quaker Meeting House, 8 Hop Gardens, London, WC2N 4EH
Be Calm, Be Happy is a 6-week group course (meeting every Saturday 10.30 - 12.30) teaching mindfulness meditation, in the Plum Village tradition, as an effective counter-balance to the stresses of life and as an opportunity to become happier.
Be Calm, Be Happy provides a gradual introduction to mindfulness and meditation and key teachings on positive happy living over six weekly classes. Each class includes guided mindfulness exercises and meditations, group discussions and practical exercises led by an experienced facilitator in a warm, friendly atmosphere.
For more information and to book https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/be-calm-be-happy-a-short-course-in-mindfulness-london-tickets-37269317532